Governor Tim Walz authorized emergency assistance for Faribault county for damage sustained from a severe winter storm during December 23-24, 2021.

“As Minnesotans, it’s our duty to help out our neighbors when unexpected challenges arise,” said Governor Walz. “Our local governments are important partners in everything we do. That’s why we’re authorizing state disaster assistance in Faribault County to aid in their recovery from this storm.”

Beginning on December 23, 2020, a severe winter storm swept across Minnesota producing a combination of blowing snow and high winds causing whiteouts, dangerous driving conditions, road closures, vehicle accidents, and stranded motorists. Due to the ice, snow, and high winds, several jurisdictions lost electricity due to downed power poles and lines. Faribault County’s electrical infrastructure experienced significant damage.

The State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account will cover 75 percent of eligible costs, or $357,578. Faribault county is responsible for the remaining 25 percent, or $119,192. The Department of Public Safety division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management will work with Faribault county officials to provide assistance as directed by the Governor.